" The police..they certainly weren't his friends... The Catholic Church wanted to be his publisher...No,they weren't his publisher...I was his friend..I published him...he owed me money..no,I owed him money,£14.25,to be precise...we agreed to call it 'Quits'...your publishers are your friends...no,you have no friends in politics,only allies..my publishers were the Communist Party of the Soviet Union...he got out of politics, eventually,,and married my daughter,my real daughter,that is..." (Michael O Riordain,The Judgement,23 December 1991, Dublin)...
...
Leaving aside the web of illusion spun by this notorious blackguard,I say,
It is only the police of any jurisdiction,or clergy,who can help anyone in trouble with soldiers or up to their neck in debt...not even a lawyer or doctor who can pull the irons out of the fire for someone who has had his day in his chosen field before the bar of history, music, politics or sport...
.....
It is a parent falsehood from a professional liar such as a politician that you have no friends in politics because they want to send you into the guns.
If you have no committed friends in politics, noone will help you overcome the pitfalls of public life and representative democracy. The expression is true of law. A lawyer is and officer of the court and state and a dangerous enemy if you criticise his conduct if your affairs publicly or privately and he will not hesitate to have you arrested in those circumstances. He can even have you arrested or blacklisted abroad. More often,he acts through someone else,his true patron.
No comments:
Post a Comment